Monday, September 27, 2010

so much more

.







Pardon me for breaching the blogging-about-blogging rule for a minute but I feel compelled to say that one of the strange things about writing a blog is the draw toward completion, collectivity, and cohesion. In other words: the great desire to have things go together, to have things make sense.

If I were writing a book, say, I'd need to have one chapter lead into the next.

But it's different with a blog. It's a snapshot of the author's mental landscape, and that landscape can be varied and wildly changing (can I also add that it does so sometimes at lightening's pace?).

All this to say that when something grabs me, I try my best to write about it and be true to it in the moment it's occurring to me. Sometimes I let something percolate for days or weeks or even months - but usually it's a spur-of-the-moment-write-it-all-down-now-before-it-goes-away kind of thing. And this, naturally, does not always lend itself to Blog Continuity.

One day I'm writing about the Balloon Man Obsession and the next I'm writing to some future teenage version of my kid, warning her about possible roadblocks to her future happiness and well being. So say it with me: not exactly topical.

I don't mind. And I'm glad that you don't seem to mind. Which brings me to this little nugget: I'm going to write more in the series Things I Will Tell My Daughter. It's an idea that has been percolating for a good long while, but the topic of that first post just came hurtling at me out of nowhere. It's one of those moments when I feel like I'm tapping into something bigger than me: a universal topic, an important topic, something that I want to say and I'm so glad that the words came to say it.

And the beauty of all this is that there is so much more to say about it as well. After I posted that first one, Chip reminded me throughout the weekend that what I'd said was incomplete - that there is so much more to say about the good AND the bad about The People That We Meet. He's right, of course. There is so much more to say about it. And I hope to do that. I plan to do that. But not today. And maybe not tomorrow or the next day, either. But soon.

I'm curious about you. What's been on your mind lately?

2 comments:

Alicia said...

I just tried to post this, but I got a Service Unavailable message. Trying again.

I backed into a giant work truck this weekend with our 6-months-old van. $500 deductible is on my mind.

Also, a funeral tomorrow.

Also, GMBOA! I have it! It's at my house!

kately said...

keeping my head above water trying not to lose my mind these past few weeks, with work insanity - that's what's been on my mind. But I am STOKED to hear that you will be continuing your thoughts on things to tell your daughter when she is older. I will be copying them and making a little binder for Shelby :-) thank you for sharing those wonderful nuggets of wisdom -- you are truly blessed with the gift of words!