Thursday, September 2, 2010

ushering in the 'bers






Yesterday: the first day of the advent of the official time we like to call The Bers, Mistress Bean accompanied me to the mall where we met a dear friend for lunch. The lunch itself was a little less than fantastical - mostly related to Mistress Bean's intense desire to steer any (read: ALL) conversation to her subjects du jour (namely: Bean herself). That, and she threw everything underneath the table and I had to make multiple trips beneath said table to retrieve lost items.


However.


Prior to the painful lunch we spent some time out in the sunshine where we:


investigated leaves and twigs


watched people walk by


enjoyed the sun on our cheeks


made cheesey faces

and


modeled some clothes that I just finished making---


the first things I've been able to do on the sewing machine since the whole neck debacle.*


A fine way to celebrate the beginning of fall and the lushness of the beautiful Bers.


I have some fun things planned for The Creamery during this season of the Bers. Tell me: what are you most looking forward to this fall?



(*And in case you aren't my friend anymore because I apparently lack the motivation to get my Etsy shop up and running, there's your reason for the delay: My neck, the pain thereof. I've had to stay off the sewing machine altogether since May and am only now just easing back into sewing. We'll see how things go, but so far it's looking good. You'll be my friend again, right?)

9 comments:

Rose said...

I'm looking forward to my son going to Kindergarten! :)

I'm also looking forward to returning to school myself, and dropping all the flab that has accumulated from my pregnancy! :)

Pickles and Dimes said...

OMG, please tell me you made the orange coat - it is gorgeous! I also like the skirt, and would like that and the coat in adult-size, please.

I am looking forward to eating chili nearly every day for lunch, and for maybe finally getting to use our fire pit at night (when it's no longer 80 degrees at 10 p.m.).

Alicia said...

My first thought when I saw that first photo (ADORABLE) was OMGIWANTTHATCOAT. For my own. And I am pretty sure I could wrestle it off Alice. She is very small.

Second thought: OMGITIS105DEGREESWHEREILIVEWHYAREPEOPLEINOTHERPLACESWEARINGCOATS?!?!

And I keep meaning to ask about your etsy shop. I'm kinda glad I didn't, since you actually have a LEGITIMATE reason to have fallen off the wagon.

As for fall... I look forward to leaves falling, cooler temperatures, the landscape before all the trees are bare, SWEATERS, putting the kids' summer clothes away and pulling out the cooler weather clothes, not sweating when I walk from my car to work, the couple weeks when it's cool enough not to run the a/c but not cold enough for the heater, the smell of baking, candles, Thanksgiving and Christmas, starting and finishing my fall travel, ... lots more. I love fall. LOVE fall.

I do not understand the 'Bers. What is this? Brrrs?

Whimsy said...

I DID make the orange coat and I just love it so much. It's from a 1970 pattern for a little girl's robe of all things, but I think it works just as well as a little duster coat.

And for Alicia & anyone else wondering: the 'Bers: September, October, November, December. My favorite favorite FAVORITE months. They deserve a collection of their very own. Hence, the 'Bers.

Keep up those fantastic fallish thoughts. I'm loving them.

Jayme said...

OMGOSH those little piggies all braided into Oh's... I'm dead of the cute. Seriously.

And will you design a wardrobe for my girls and I? You are far better at it than we are.

clueless but hopeful mama said...

Oh that coat!! You= super sewing stud! (studette?)

Glad your neck is back in action!

I am looking forward to preschool! And jeans, open windows, taking walks at hours other than 6 am and 9 pm, holidays, pumpkins, pumpkin bread, and leaf pile diving (to name just a few).

Tamara said...

Loving the coat and as always, those cute pigtails of the bean girly.
I love the summer sunshine and the heat, but i must grow tired of it because I get excited about the fall. It brings me back to my college days and the fond memories I have (earlier school years were not so fond). I also love the smell of cinnamon and pumpkin candles burning and I wouldn't have those scents around another other time of year. Those smells make me feel all warm and fuzzy.
I'm glad you're slowing getting back into sewing. I'm excited to see what else you've created since I know you're filled with all kinds of fun ideas.

wandering nana said...

I'm waiting for the crispy air.... fallen leaves....staying home, inside...making soups and bread, and cookies and pumpkin muffins....and hot chocolate.

tearese said...

Can I just say, I've always wanted an orange coat? Maybe I'll fulfil that need by making one of my kids wear one...hmmm. But I'd prefer corduroy, please.
No seriously, those clothes are so cute. I would say I'm looking forward to fall leaves, but we live where there are NO leaves.
However, I found some that i pressed in Everett about four years ago,and I've hung them on the wall, so now my Fall can be happy. And I will be the envy of all my neighbors, I'm sure.