Monday, February 18, 2008

101

That crazy nonsense writing piece from Thursday? THAT was my 100th post. I had hoped I would put something together that was, um, a little more TOGETHER, you know? Oh well. As I've found myself (BARF) saying a lot these days: it is what it is.

What the heck IS that? It IS what it IS? Does that even make grammatical sense? I think it's our new-fangled way of saying that life isn't simple or easy, that whatever lies in front of us is the thing we have right now and we might make something of it, we might make nothing of it. It is our own doing regardless. I'm guessing it's the adult version of "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit". There's a certain fatalistic bent to IT IS WHAT IT IS that makes me feel unsteady. Like I'm accepting a less than stellar situation because I'm too tired to change it.

I guess I can't go back and post a different #100 - but I'm doing a darn fine job of making #101 STELLAR, don't you think???

This is what I get for coming in here with nothing on my mind other than the thousand things that are bouncing around in my noggin like so many ping pong balls. And you've already heard about those at least a bajillion times already.

Happy #101, my dears. May #102 find us all in a more focused frame of mind.

2 comments:

M said...

I like "it is what it is"--I feel all zenned out when I say it. And I don't think it's settling for less than stellar results, I look at it as channeling that energy to things that really matter, and ultimately, this mediocre thing in this moment doesn't really matter.

I would never apply this phrase to say...my marriage. But my workplace? EVERY DAY.

My sister says it a lot...so maybe that's why I like it and it doesn't bother me. It's a short and sweet reminder that not everything is important in life and you have to recognize the important things when they come along and let the rest slide.

This could just be me.

Incidentally, and for what it's worth, I loved your 100th post...it was all about perspective. My arch nemesis of late, so it's lovely to have those reminders.

Sarah said...

Just caught up with your last few posts. I'm sorry you're disappointed with the turn of events (or lack of turning, as the case may be) in regards to your c-section. I would be disappointed too, believe me; I get everything you were saying about wanting to feel that passage, the symbolism of it. But I just wanted to let you know, for what it's worth, that I had a meticulous birth plan and a doula and everything with my last birth, and while the major things turned out as I'd hoped, it still wasn't the scenario I'd had in mind and lots of things happened I'd specifically planned to avoid. The best laid plans, you know... So I think "it is what it is" can definitely apply to birth. It's never gonna be perfect, and it's always going to be painful, but at the end, if you're lucky, you get a BABY. A beautiful, healthy baby to love for the rest of your life. That's the thing.