Friday, April 16, 2010

several things that I think are funny and one that is not

Our garden in the wake of Hurricaine Bean.



1. I am going to get my hair cut on Saturday by the same guy who thought 8-track tapes were "from sometime in the 1980's?"---- defintiely well before he was born. I don't know why I put myself through this madness, why I don't just up and demand that the person who cuts my hair be born before 1979 and have a working knowledge of the tv show CHiP's. Instead, this is what I get: 45 minutes of conversation revolving around music I don't know, and stories that require way too much back story ("So 8-track tapes were these things before regular cassette tapes? We had an 8-track player in our station wagon and would listen to John Denver and The Carpenters").



2. Bean's newest acrobatic feat involves throwing her body over a large red rubber ball in our living room. I think she dreams of laying on the thing like an inflated rubber dingy, but due to it being a BALL and everything, she ends up getting dumped on her (count them): head, chin, bum, elbow, knee, nose, leg, and cheekbone (that's just from yesterday).



3. I went back and read yesterday's post after a few of you proclaimed that you thought it was some kind of cat eulogy. My only thought is that I should have put a disclaimer in the title: THIS CAT IS NOT DEAD... YET.



4. We're facing that stage with Bean where she's so darn EXCITED about flowers and greenery that she ends up killing the objects of her affection... killing them with TODDLER KINDNESS. She bent back the petals of the above tulip when she was giving it a love. And then she uprooted several sprigs of thyme because she wanted to give them a 'tiss. Basically we feel the need to console the foliage after Bean has visited.



5. How to depress yourself in three easy steps: put your daughter to bed (knowing that you'll be back in her bedroom again sometime in the next five hours), wander to your bedroom to prepare to take a shower but instead of a shower--- turn the television on and watch this show on PBS about talking to children about the death of a parent--- starring Katie Couric and the Sesame Street Muppets.
And now that I've brought all of YOU down, tell me what you're doing this weekend. We're pulling weeds and attempting to shiend the remaining tulips from too much of Bean's love.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, we never had an 8-track. My family preferred albums and I think the only thing we had in the car was the radio, then cassette. I sort of feel like I missed out on something. Man, those 8-tracks were huge.

Rose said...

I have my pregnancy glucose test today. Let's hope it doesn't make me sick! I also have to do a lot of digging in the garden so we can plant our berry bushes, grapevines, and transplant some of the things we've sprouted!

Pickles and Dimes said...

Never had 8-tracks around the house growing up, but my husband has probably 100 cassettes in a box in our garage, all from 80s hair metal bands.

This weekend we're going to a Twins game and then seeing Maria Bamford.

Alicia said...

My first car had an 8-track deck (it was old and called the Hell Mobile). 8-tracks had been obsolete for long enough at that point that I had a really hard time finding anything to listen to in the car. I think I had two 8-tracks, one of which was Steppenwolf. The other, I think, was some Beatles album, but I don't remember exactly.

I'm totally going to watch that depressing Sesame Street thing. My dad died when I was 11, and MAN, it would've been nice to have some more relevant media.

This weekend, we have a Girl Scout hike, kid's birthday party, farm veggies pickup from a neighbor, and some serious vacuuming.

tearese said...

yeah, we had a church activity where you got points for different things on this survey, and one thing was if you ever owned an eight track player. I was at a table with like 8 people, and only me and an old lady knew what an 8-track was; everyone else thought it was a cassette tape, and didn't know what I was talking about when I tried to explain it.