Friday, July 30, 2010

how to make yummy susan cookies































I have a cousin named Susan but these are not her cookies.

I'm not sure I know any other Susan's.

But maybe I do and I call them Sue.

Let me think.........

Nope. Don't think I know any other Susan's or Sue's.

But I made these cookies anyway and they are absolutely delicious.

Melt-in-your-mouth delicious and perfect with a tall glass of ice-cold milk.

You should make them too. Because of the deliciousness.

You will thank me.




Yummy Susan Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter - room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour

Using a stand mixer: Cream sugar and butter. Add vanilla and salt and mix thoroughly. Blend in flour. Shape a teaspoon of dough into a ball and put on a cookie sheet. Flatten ball a little bit with your thumb. Bake in 375-degree oven 8-10 minutes, until cookies look dry but NOT brown. Let them cool thoroughly and then frost with a dollup of chocolate icing.

For chocolate icing: combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. For the smoothest icing, sift the powdered sugar and cocoa together into a bowl.
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa
3 tablespoons hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla
Moving quickly, put icing in a piping bag while it's still warm (I use a plastic disposable one with the tip just snipped off) and then pipe a little swirl of icing on each cookie.


Enjoy!



* Just a note: when I made the cookies for these photos, I made them bigger than I normally would. They were still delicious, but next time I'm going to stick with the 1-teaspoon size because they are perfectly bite-sized that way.




4 comments:

Shelly Overlook said...

DROOLING

Amy said...

I'll be there shortly for a couple of those!

kately said...

While you were baking your fabulous cookies, Abram and I were working on a 3 hour Cake-From-Scratch Experiment. The recipe for this cake involved 3 sections: batter/filling/icing -- it took up 1/2 a page -- quite lengthy .. and all went well until I did the frosting: Couldn't get the frosting to 160 degrees, using a hand blender for 15 minutes in a saucepan on the stove. So I stopped at 120 degrees because my hand was tired. Guess that was a bad idea. The icing just OOZED down the cake once we frosted it -- it was NOT the correct consistency (light, stiff peaks, the recipe said --not so much, my version). Half the icing was in a moat AROUND the cake after S L I D I N G ever-so-slowly down the side of the cake. Still almost mouth-watering-good when all was said and done. 160 degrees. Must follow instructions .... must follow instructions.

Spadoman said...

Maybe a batch of these in lieu of the dresses for the kiddies. No, that wouldn't be nice, would it?

Peace.