Thursday, December 30, 2010

laundry list

1. Bean has been sick for two weeks. I know that this is a boring blog topic so I'm going to leave it at that, but with an added reminder of THIS IS THE CHILD WHO COUGHS UNTIL SHE VOMITS. REPEATEDLY. AND I'VE GOT THIS POST TRAUMATIC STRESS THING WITH ANY GAGGING/URPY NOISE SHE MAKES ON THE MONITOR AT NIGHT BECAUSE DUDE - A NIGHTTIME THROW-UP SESSION RESULTS IN HOURS OF CLEANING AND AT LEAST ONE LOAD OF EMERGENCY LAUNDRY BECAUSE IF SHE THROWS-UP ON HER BLANKET SHE WON'T GO TO SLEEP WITHOUT IT AND LET'S JUST SAY IT: MY SANITY IS HANGING BY A THREAD. A THREAD.

2. I have taken to calling myself Whimsy-Under-Siege. The mad-dash push for Christmas with making gifts and wrapping them and having everything done before Chip's family got into town melded into an even madder dash to put on Christmas Eve dinner for fourteen (yes, fourteen) people. There was this whole mishap with the turkey, too. The end result was a borrowed turkey roaster pan from Wandering Nana (saving grace) which had Chip and I moving the turkey that had already been cooking for an hour, from one pan to the roaster. Imagine two human adult people trying to move a piping hot 24-pound turkey using nothing except large kitchen tools. It wasn't pretty, but somehow turned out fine. In the days since Christmas, the Whimsy-Under-Siege mentality hasn't left, and I am nervous and fretful and feeling cagey. I keep hoping that it's just going to run itself out, but no luck yet.

3. It's my mother's birthday today. Sadly, the Whimsy-Under-Siege compounded by Lack-of-Sleep-Whimsy means that I haven't written her anything except this madness. Happy birthday, mom. I love you.

4. It snowed yesterday. The weather guys of course said that it wasn't going to snow except in higher elevations. I don't know why I ever listen to them because they are never right. But it was a nice surprise, really it was. We had nowhere to be, so Bean and I just hung out. I cleaned the bathroom. We played Candyland (in case you didn't know: it turns out when you play Candyland with a two-year-old, you spend 15 minutes telling the child to put the cards down, don't touch the other gingerbread guy, put your gingerbread guy on the blue square - no the other blue square). We played in the snow. I bribed Bean to take her medicine (the two-week-cold that I mentioned in point #1 has an ear infection chaser that was diagnosed when I took her to the doctor on Monday which means the added awesomeness of antibiotics).

5. Successful medicine taking bribes have included Hershey's Kisses, apple juice, marshmallows, neon goldfish crackers, and multiple games of Candyland.

6. Less successful medicine taking bribes have included a smile from mommy, a hearty pat on the back, a kiss from mommy, a bowl of shredded wheat, and raisins. All of them, epic FAIL.

7. Which is why you're getting this mishmash from me today. Happy December 30th. I've been working on an entry for tomorrow. We'll see if I get it done.

5 comments:

Rose said...

Poor Bean! I hope she feels better soon!

The turkey transfer would have been worth getting on video... :)

(What is her blankie like? Is there any chance of buying or making a decoy?)

Chip said...

I'm gonna go with "Whimsy Kung-Fu Ninja" because the life of a Whimsy is very dangerous and complex, yet you accomplish all your impossble tasks and make it look easy

Alicia said...

1. Poor Beanie Baby.

2. I would have paid money to see you and Chip transfer that turkey.

3. Happy birthday, Whimsy's mom!

Alicia said...

Oh, and I agree with Rose. If there's any chance of getting another blankie, that's a great idea. When we saw that Griffon was going to be really attached to his blankie bear, we bought another on eBay. And then another. We tried to keep them separate, but then he started having one for school and one for home, and eventually, he knew he had three. He typically carries two at a time around now, but has definite preferences for one over another. We've had a couple times where he's left one (or two) at school, but we always have one somewhere at home. I try to keep one in his dresser drawer.

angelalois said...

whimsy!!! just read a fascinating article in parents about natural ailment remedies and a super good cough syrup to administer before bed is a tablespoon of HONEY. coats the throat, super sweet, and stifles the gag. maybe that would help?? poor bean.

PS I'd never play a board game with a toddler. just sayin'. I'm only brave enough to do play doh.