Thursday, April 17, 2008

return of thankful thursday

There is no shortage of bad news in the world. Even when I'm not actively seeking it, it finds me: in the grocery store, overheard conversations, the newspaper headlines, news homepages on the web, in everyday conversation. I feel covered in it, and it seriously affects my mood. It's hard to feel good about life when the world itself seems poised for implosion.

These days I try to turn from it - to protect my ears, my heart from the soul-sucking damage of Too Much Bad News. I have a feeling that hiding out isn't the answer. It's probably more along the lines of finding balance. Being aware of the darkness that is lurking outside my door while also giving thanks for some of the most precious and beautiful things that I have in abundance.

A few for today:

- Emily's surprise visit last night. Chocolate shakes & help with the dishes notwithstanding.

- The smell of Bean's head. A strange and wonderful combination of flowers, baby lotion, and milk.

- The way Chip talks to Alice when he's changing her diaper. I've never heard him this way before, and it's wonderful.

- My two hands. I am grateful to have them and all that they help me to do.


3 comments:

Pickles and Dimes said...

I love this post.

Have you heard of Happy News? They only report happy stuff.

Heidi said...

That's beautiful. I loved them all, but the two hands was a wonderful reminder of blessings I take for granted.

Rose said...

I was also going to recommend Happy News. It's good to count your blessings though! When you start counting all the little things, you realize how quickly they all add up!