Tuesday, November 3, 2009

lashtastic

Last night I sat in mystified wonder as I watched a commercial for a prescription drug that will grow longer, darker, thicker eyelashes. The spokesperson is Brooke Shields.

Are we that desperately vain that we are willing to have possible "darkening of eyelids" and "irreversible changes in iris pigmentation" in order to have thicker eyelashes?

Is mascara simply not good enough?

It's sort of impossible for me to visualize going to my doctor to ask for a prescription for the stuff. That would be weird.

6 comments:

Rose said...

Why does Brooke Shields need it when she has stylists and people who Photoshop her?

Mascara is fine for me!

bzzzzgrrrl said...

Do you know Sarah Haskins already? If so, have you seen her piece on Brooke Shields? It's excellent.

"You know how sometimes you see freaky people on the street with tiny eyelashes and you practically barf?"

artemisia said...

I know! There are a lot of things out there that make me think of how spoiled we all are, and of what a fairyland we've surrounded ourselves in, but that eyelash PRESCRIPTION is just over the top.

I mean, I can see it being prescribed to folks who had chemo and there eyelashes don't come back very well, etc. But because mascara isn't good enough? Um, bah.

And bzzzzgrrrl - right on! Sarah Haskins is AWESOME.

stacie d said...

Every time I see that commercial, I get hung up on the "darkening of eyelids" thing. What do they even mean? I don't want to find out. I'll stick to my Cover Girl Exact Eyelights mascara, thankyouverymuch.

clueless but hopeful mama said...

Hahaha! This made me laugh because just last week I saw this print ad and read the fine print out loud to my husband. He was like "Well, you always complain that your finger nails are not very strong, maybe they have a prescription for that. The only bad side effect: your fingers may fall off. BUT YOUR NAILS WILL BE LOVELY."

Anonymous said...

I would think that the only reason for this would be if you had a problem with things getting in your eyes, like...if you're recovering from chemo. Also, I HATE that commercial, it's always on my shows on hulu and it's a MINUTE long